Thursday, July 26, 2007

At least it wasn't a tattoo

When I was 17 I got my belly-button pierced. It was one of those I'll do it if you do it kind of situations with my high-school boyfriend (who's "do it" was just a little bit easier - he was only getting his ear pierced). I still remember having dinner with my parents after we got back, hoping they wouldn't notice how tall I was sitting in my chair as I tried to avoid contact between the new hole in my stomach and the top of my pants.

That was 10 years ago. Tonight, for the first time ever, I took the ring out.

Well, when I say "I", I mean Bryce. He used a pair of pliers to pry the ring apart and then remove it. My only contribution was to lay still on the bed, flat as a board, with my eyes squeezed shut, whimpering every time I felt the metal brush against me. I still can't believe I ever paid money to have someone stick a giant needle through my stomach. Or that after a decade, there was still a metal ring there (I'm such a chicken-shit).

I can honestly say that it would still be there if it weren't for the fact that tomorrow I have to have an MRI done on my knee. I went back to the orthopedic doctor today because my knee is still bothering me, and has actually gotten worse in the last few months since I stopped training for the marathon, to the point that it's almost always hurting me. He's concerned that I might have a tear in the cartilage surrounding my knee cap, better known as a meniscus tear. Which sounds super fun, doesn't it? Anyway, tomorrow I'll go have an image taken of it and then next week the doctor will read it and let me know whether I'll need to have surgery or not.

I'm hoping for not.

All of this knee business aside, I'm feeling better than I have in weeks. My husband continues to be simply amazing in ways that I could never possibly deserve, and I don't know what I would do without him. Tonight we ignored the rest of the world and had a wonderfully low-key evening, just the two of us. I made us a big pot of chili and we both curled up on the couch with our big, steaming bowls and watched Entourage. It was simply perfect.

And now, folks, I'm off to read Harry Potter.

2 comments:

TTQ said...

Well I don't have to remove my tattoo to get MRI's or Ct's done, but I can't pull it off with pliers. And that kinda sucks, but at least it's hidden.

Carolynne said...

The only thing about me getting a tattoo is that I'm so ADD I would be bored with it in like 2 weeks, and then stuck with it for eternity! =)