Saturday, November 11, 2006

Breaking up is hard to do

My Dad headed up north this morning to prepare for opening day of deer season which, in Michigan, is basically a national holiday. This year he will be hunting with the ex-boyfriend and his family. I was so looking forward to him being able to go up with them, but now that we broke up it's put a bit of a damper on the whole thing for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really glad that my Dad still felt comfortable enough to go and that Ken felt comfortable enough to still have him up. That just goes to show how much our families really get along. But it feels a little awkward to me now, like everyone up there will be thinking, "Wow, this guy's really great. Too bad his moronic daughter broke up with our son/grandson/nephew." It freaks me out a little bit.

In a lot of ways, losing the family of the boyfriend that you dump is one of the worst things about the breakup. It's like you're breaking up with them too, except that you don't get to have the 'It's not you, it's me' discussion.

And I really, really liked his family. They were the kind of people that I could really picture wanting to be around for the rest of my life. The kind of people that I actually wanted to become a family with. It's just kind of a bummer that it didn't work out that way.

Well, I hope my Dad has a good time, anyway. And brings back some delicious deer meet for me to enjoy. Cause, even though I could never kill them, I sure as hell can enjoy the delicious venison spoils from someone else.

No comments: